01 02 03 Bookish Wanderess: Good Books/ Bad Covers #4 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Good Books/ Bad Covers #4

34


Good Books / Bad Covers is a new feature/weekly meme here at Bookish Wanderess. The idea behind it is to say "Hey, I know this book has a really bad cover, but the book itself is really good. You should read it!" So every monday I will be choosing one book or book series that I read and really liked, but it has a really bad cover, and I will talk about why that book deserves a chance even if the cover is so bad that I wouldn't pick the book up in a bookstore even if it was free. Everyone is welcome to join this meme, I just ask that you link back to me in your post.


Hi guys! After my absence last week, I'm finally here with a new Good Books/ Bad Covers post. This week I chose an amazing adult fantasy book that a lot of people that like fantasy have read and love. I chose this book for 2 reason: 1) I think if someone saw this book in a bookstore and didn't know what it's about they wouldn't buy it, and 2)  I feel like a lot of people may have heard how amazing this book is, and they still haven't read it because of the cover. The book I'm talking about is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, the first book in The Kingkiller Chronicle series.

This book is brilliant, but if you look at the cover you wouldn't know that! The first cover, the blue one, is just a simple, boring cover, with bad color choices. The second one, with the weird red hair dude, is terrible, the worst of all the covers, I would never pick up that book in a bookstore. And the last one, is the best one  for me, I just think it's the one I would be more likely to pick up in a bookstore.  But my main problem with the three covers is that they don't really say anything about the story and they don't do it justice. 


With this covers, I understand why someone may not pick this book up in a bookstore, but here are some reason to ignore the covers and read  the book

- The main reason to read this book is the amazing writing. Patrick Rothfuss is a really talented storyteller. 

- You get two stories in one book, because the main character is telling his story to someone, so he is talking about the past, but you also see what it's happening in the present while he tells the story.

- It's has a very interesting concept that's different from other epic fantasy, because it doesn't focus on a single epic action or task the main character has to accomplish. This series is the life story of the main character, and this book is about his childhood and the beginning of his teen years, and what this means is that it revolves around the epic and the not so epic moments in his life. 

- The world building is very precise and full of details, but that doesn't make this book boring because it's a very interesting and intriguing world and you just want to know more. 

- The magic system in this book is stunning, it's just so complex and beautiful at the same time. 

And that's it!  If you haven't given this book a chance because of its cover, please do it!

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you make a Good Books/ Bad Covers post, please let me know in the comments, I would love to check it out! 


Labels:

35 36 37 38